The Bookshop is a 2017 film written and directed by Isabel Coixet, based on the novel of the same nameby Penelope Fitzgerald.[2The film stars Emily Mortimer, Patricia Clarkson, and Bill Nighy. It was shot in Portaferry and Strangford, County Down, Northern Ireland, and in Barcelona. The cinematography was spectacular.
Set in the late 1950s, the film opens with an explanatory voice-over narration. Florence Green, a widow, has decided to open a bookshop in the small coastal town of Hardborough, Suffolk, acquiring as her premises the Old House, a damp and abandoned property that has been standing empty for many years. After refurbishing it and moving in, she learns that Violet Gamart, an influential and ambitious local resident, had privately earmarked the Old House for her own pet project, a local arts centre – a project that she has no intention of dropping even though the property is no longer empty. Aided by several of the townspeople Mrs Gamart attempts to get Florence evicted, and the shop closed down.
Florence’s business does well enough for her to need help in the shop from Christine, the young daughter of a neighbour. Their best customer is the wealthy bookish recluse Edmund Brundish, who begins to have feelings for Florence as she introduces him to new authors. Learning of the threats to Florence’s business, he volunteers to emerge from his seclusion, to visit Mrs Gamart and tell her to desist. But despite everything, things do not go well.
This was a movie that touched my heart. Florence and Mr. Brundish were drawn together by their love of books. She had the courage to pursue her dream, despite a rich woman’s meddling, and he admired that.
This is a movie I recommend. It made me think about the characters and their story long after I finished watching it. And I loved the music as well.
Quick Apple Cake Recipe
When Mr. Brundish invited Florence to tea, he served a delicious looking bundt cake with it. This easy recipe makes a large cake with quite a few servings.
- 4 apples
- 4 Eggs
- 2 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Light Olive Oil (or coconut oil)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 cup Flour
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 pinch Salt
- Oil for baking pan
- Brown Sugar
- Combine together eggs, sugar, oil, vanilla extract and salt. Using a mixer, beat until mixture is fluffy.
- In small parts, mix flour and baking powder into the egg mixture.
- Peel and grate apples on a large side of the grater. Mix apples into the cake batter. Stir to combine everything together.
- Spray baking dish with oil. Sprinkle a bit of brown sugar on the bottom of the pan.
- Pour cake batter into the pan. Bake at 325F for about 50 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the pan and let it cool to a room temperature. Enjoy!